Saturday, March 26, 2005

March 26 - Mode of transmission

Good morning! Well, morning after shot and other than excruciating headache and burning skin, not doing too badly and now have Starbucks coffee and a scone beside me, bound to make the world a better place. There is a Starbucks next door to us and I allow myself one coffee each day. The injections, although less flu-like than at the very beginning, are still the worst night of the week for me. About 4 hrs post injection, I feel like someone's beaten the hell out of me, with muscle aches, chills, fever and, worst of all, terribly sore skin, like someone has poured scalding water all over me. My husband massaged "sympathy for the skin" cream on my back softly for about an hour last night and I finally fell asleep. Sleep a huge relief because generally, shot night is my only insomniac night and am up feeling like crap for the entire thing. Just took a tylenol for the headache and am hoping it will abate. Have soft flannel top on to cushion the sore skin. It will pass and, as Ron reminded me, these drugs are swirling around inside fighting this virus and making me better. It's there that I will focus.

This blog was going to consider mode of transmission/mechanism of infection. I don't know how I got hcv, not because there hasn't been any possible exposure, but because there's been multiple possible exposure opportunities. Had 2 surgeries in my teens (hernia, wisdom teeth), where I may have had blood products administered (in process of checking, mostly because if I did, I will qualify for some funds), I certainly took part in some "recreational drug experimentation" during the 1970's, also got a little rose tattoo in the 1970's (later laser removed as a tattoo just isn't quite as pretty 30 years later!), and in my employment in health care have had a couple of needle stick injuries, probably before hcv was even a recognized entity. Ultimately, it really doesn't matter how I got this. What ever the route of transmission was, one way or the other doesn't make me any more or less "deserving" of this disease. What matters is that I have it. What matters is that I am getting rid of it.

Will have a quiet day today, recouping. My sister, Sal, who lives in North Toronto, is picking up groceries for me and coming down to visit (like the rest of my family, totally helpful and amazing!). Tomorrow 8 of us for dinner here, with Sal helping me get it together. Will be fun!

8 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Hi Sue,
Yes, I avoid caffeine generally, but do allow myself a cup of green tea in the morning which lifts me into the day.
I live in the countryside which I love but when you said there is a starbucks next door I did experience a twinge of envy.
There are some advantages to living in the city.

Paul.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Paul,

I decided trying to completely give up my starbucks coffee might be worse than not - have just one a day, but love that one!

Can't for a moment imagine living in the country, but it does sound beautiful. We have a cottage on a lake up in Northern Ontario where we escape to in the warm weather. Having the cottage makes living in the city more tolerable.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Colam said...

Hi Sue,

I gave up coffee for the first 10 weeks of treatment, allowing myself to go back on it made treatment a much nicer place. I tend to have 2 or 3 expressos a day but keep them all before lunch.

I have read that antihistamine tablets like Clarytin can help with the skin itch, not sure if this is the burning you describe. I personnally take Reishi tablets which are a natural antihistamine.

Strange thing this treatment, shot night is the night I sleep best!

All the best
Jonathan

2:30 PM  
Blogger MartinB said...

Hi Sue,
I don't think there is any reason to limit coffee intake, apart from the caffiene keeping you awake. There has been a recent study in Japan that suggests that coffee actually protects against liver cancer. Liver cancer rates are halved in coffee drinkers, and it looks like the effect is linear in that those that drink more are better protected.
Have you tried the standard 'take two Tylenol/paracetamol an hour after the injection' to ward of the headache/fever? It works for me!
Martin

3:51 PM  
Blogger peter said...

I'm pretty certain as to my mode of transmission, but really... we've all ended up with this virus irregardless and are trying to do something to heal.

Caffeine and ribavarin don't seem to agree with me. The only caffeine I've had lately is when I take generic excedrin (aspirin/acetaminophen/caff) for bad headaches. I'm sleeping much better. But that scone sounds good!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Thanks all for the incredible caffeine justification! I do love that morning coffee!

Skin rash is separate from post-injection burning skin. Rash is in small clusters and seems to do okay with topical aveeno (the anti-itch formulation, with oatmeal and calomine). Haven't required antihistamines yet. The burning skin is specifically after the shot, lasts about 24 hrs, but is much more severe for about first 12 and is excruciating. Nurse says it's a form of interferon-induced neuropathy and is a common side. Am definitely doing the x2 tylenol extra strength with each shot - has improved things somewhat.

From Sunday on, the week is generally great and relatively painless. So far, so good....

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hei hei sue-sue:

i'm so hoping you feel better.
you have such a positive outlook and i Know this will help you.
am making the cheesecake tonight and look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow.

we love you so much!

annikka

7:40 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Colam said...

Hi Sue,

Out of interest how much is the compensation in Canada. I got £20,000 from the UK Government which to me seems wholly inadequate. The only good thing for me was the simplicity with which I was able to get the money, all I had to do was ask my heptologist to certify I had both haemophilia and Hep C. Six weeks later I got the money in my bank.

Jonathan

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home