Sunday, March 27, 2005

March 27 - Compensation

Am feeling 100% better today and am here with my coffee (oh, and look, there's a little lemon and cranberry scone here too!). Would like to say that I'm terribly knowledgeable about Canadian compensation issues, but am not. I do have the relevant web pages to review though and have added them to the side bar under "Websites" for both Ontario Provincial and Canadian Federal compensation information. [The Ontario site provides a link to the Canadian Liver Foundation - please note that in contrast to what is stated on that site, in Ontario, my personal insurance plan has covered 100% of my combo therapy treatment and, if it had not, I would have been able to apply to the Trillium Foundation for assistance]. It would seem that the Ontario provincial compensation is $25,000 (if my understanding of the comparative value of the Canadian dollar and British pound is correct, the compensation in the U.K. is much higher). Both the federal government and the provinces have recognized compensation for hcv contracted by blood products from 1986 to 1990. Only certain provinces (Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba), have recongnized pre-1986 and post-1990 infection via the blood system, however, the federal government is in the process of re-looking at these time periods. So far, I have contacted the patient relations department of the hospital where I had surgeries in the early 1970's. They have subsequently referred me to contact their department of health records, which is where I will try next. Can't hurt to check it out.

Coffee done, off to do a nice long yoga session (always do a double session on Sundays, what with feeling so good!). Will get place cleaned up and then walk down to the train station to meet our youngest son who is returning from London, Ontario, where he spent the last week (his March break), with my good friend Joan and her family. Another amazing friend.... "send Phil out here for the week Sue, he'll have a great time and you can rest". Thank you so much, Joanie! Then cooking and family, all of whom are bringing contributions for the dinner! Most surprising, it's sunny out!!! Happy Easter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home