Tuesday, March 29, 2005

March 29 - Of treatment, redipens, templates and spring

This blog is almost difficult to start, as I'm at a loss as to how to express how I'm feeling about another hcv blogger, with the same genotype as mine, who has decided to shorten his treatment regime. There is some evidence to show that those of us with genotype 3 may have svr with a shorter treatment course. I am too scared to not do the whole currently prescribed 24 weeks. I am also scared, and incredibly saddened, to hear how much pain and difficulty he is experiencing. Am also hugely cautioned. There is not a time where I'm allowed, it seems, to let this go, to forget what I'm going through, to just be me without being me on treatment. Will look ahead and continue to count down. It is helpful for me to look at the chart that I post on my refrigerator, where each day I check off each medication and vitamin and supplement I've taken and each week check off another interferon shot. Am almost through 2 lined pages now - just a couple more pages to go.

Another hcv blogger has recently posted an outline on how she performs her interferon injections, which I think is brilliant. Am taking the Schering Plough redipen for my interferon, which is a slightly different process and so I'll outline how I do the shots for any curious redipen users. Disclaimer: this is how I do the injections, please consult your health care professional and/or Schering Plough regarding specifics of how you should perform a redipen injection.

- you need: redipen kit (allow redipen to warm to room temperature beforehand), alcohol swabs x 2, cotton swab x 1, sharps container, room to perform injection where cats are not likely to knock everything over.

- wipe the selected injection body area with alcohol swab (allows sufficient time to dry before injecting).

- stand the redipen up on its base and grasp the top section, then push the top section down on the bottom section (you'll hear a small crunch, don't worry, it's evidently mixing up the interferon and sterile water).

- gently invert the redipen twice (don't shake it).

- take an alcohol swab and clean the top of the redipen, where the needle will fit on.

- remove the sticky tab from the bottom of the needle portion, place the needle STRAIGHT down onto the top of the redipen and TURN IT CLOCKWISE a couple of times. When the needle is on correctly, you'll see the fluid in the chamber move slightly upwards towards the top of the redipen, accompanied by a small soft noise. This is normal. If any fluid appears around the base of the needle, let it sit for a minute. LEAVE BOTH THE TOPS ON THE NEEDLE FOR NOW.
(on my 4th injection, the needle did not go on correctly and I was taking both the tops off the needle right after putting it on the redipen.... all of the interferon went shooting out of the syringe into the air and I almost fainted. Had to get another cold one out of the fridge and do it. I am now EXTREMELY careful about getting the needle on straight and I leave the needle caps on until just before I inject. Schering Plough has replaced the redipen (in fact, has replaced an entire treatment box), free of charge without any difficulty at all!).

- pull the bottom circular dial portion of the redipen out away from the main portion, dial appropriate dosage to line up with black vertical marking on the redipen.

- take both tops off of the needle, pinch body injection site softly, insert needle at 45-90 degree angle to skin, place thumb on base of redipen and slowly push down to inject contents. I hold the needle in the injection site afterwards and quickly count to 20 (am no good at all at counting slowly!).

- remove from skin, stop pinching skin softly and take cotton swab and press against injection site, place used redipen in sharps container.

- take deep breath, done for another week. If it is helpful, take a couple of extra strength tylenols for any anticipated injection-related side effects (it certainly helps me). Consuming a delicious pastry has been suggested as a little reward for good job done!

I'm very new to blogging and am entranced by the template section of the blog set-up, hence the new page colours. Please bear with me during my blog templating experimental phase. Am sure there will be some very odd results, but this is great fun!

It is really looking like Spring here in Toronto the Grey! Easter dinner was spectacular, with tons of food (am still stuffed!), ham, scalloped potatoes, veggies, homemade white chocolate cheesecake (thanks Annikka!!!). Our youngest son Phillip is back and even though it was great for him to get away for a week and for us to have a week to ourselves, I sure missed him and love having him home! The sun is shining and the temperature is supposed to go up to 15 celcius today - WOW. Is supposed to go back down to 3 degrees by tomorrow, but today looking mighty fine! Had previously booked today as day off to make for an extra long wknd. I have spa package gift certificate left over from Christmas courtesy of James and Annikka, which will be used today for some very special r&r. A good friend previously pointed out to me that as I am going through the treatment, the weather will become warmer, the sun brighter, the days longer and that this will positively influence me during this time. She's right!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo Sue - thanks for your comments on my blog. I find the information about injecting fascinating. I have had 2 'starter' injections so far, but following blood tests have been unable to continue my 48 week course. So to me it is all rather novel, and I have yet to self inject.

As a new blogger myself, I sympathise over the templates - if I had an artistic bone in my body it would help! I think yours looks great if it helps - if you would like to offer your critical comments on mine, I should be grateful.

Keep up the good work

6:38 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Thanks Nick, glad the blog hopefully looking okay. I'd be more "math and science", as compared to "artist" in all possible ways. Am having fun with the template stuff though, is very detailed and I like that!

Just read your recent post and think your blog is looking spectacular! By the way, when your work on motivating children is published, please let me know. With 2 boys, the youngest now a teen, am at least subjectively familiar with the difficulties of cultivating motivation! Must be a fascinating area to be working with. Sue

8:08 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Colam said...

Hi Sue,

I am sorry if my actions over the weekend made anything harder for you - I certainly had the colley wobbles. You said in your blog that you are too scared not to do the full treatment, this is a sentiment I can completely agree with. I am not sure where I am ging at the moment but I think I too am too scared not to do the full treatment.

Anyway hope you are well.

Jonathan

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sue
Its nice to read a blooger story from across the sea. Can you let me know who looks after your care is it a nurse or your doctor?. How often do you see your health profession.
Friend

3:18 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Anonymous,

I've had 3 appts so far with my hepatologist, 1 when I was referred to him following diagnosis by my family physician, 1 following my initial tests with his office, and 1 when I began treatment. During the 1st 4 weeks of treatment, I saw the nurse each week. Now, I see her every 2 weeks. I am coming up to shot #9. At shot 12, I see my hepatologist again. I'll continue to see the nurse. If I develop any serious medical difficulties, I will be scheduled in to see the hepatologist without any problem.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home