Saturday, June 25, 2005

June 21 - THREE

21 down, three to go. Slept through most of the post-injection period last night. Woke once feeling awful, but managed to go right back to sleep after taking a couple more acetaminophen. The lavendar and vetiver aromatherapy have helped make the sleep thing pretty much a nonissue now. This morning not too bad, with my Starbucks grande bold coffee and maple oatmeal scone. And a banana. And the riba capsules. Continuing to count down.

Saw nurse Sharon yesterday and had a lovely visit. Sharon in a very up mood, referring to the fact that I have about a 90% chance of clearing the virus and raving about how well things have gone on treatment. Met a couple of other patients in the waiting area also on combo. One woman who received hepC from her mother at birth, with one of her own children also infected. Doing a very individualized course of therapy lasting well over a year. In the grand scheme of life, I am so very fortunate. I will see Sharon again on July 22 - the last day I take ribavirin. They'll test viral load quantitatively to 50IU. Guess I'll get the results once back from the cottage mid-August. Then, they'll test again in six months. If negative at 6 months post-treatment, the Ontario government evidently considers you cured and will not fund further testing. As there are no "private" health services here, I would probably head across the lake to Buffalo in the US, for a test at about $250 a pop for future once per year testing.

The week has been very good. Have booked a couple of vacation days - one yesterday and another next Thursday, giving me a couple of long weekends to enjoy in the summer heat. Friday next week is Canada Day, so that'll mean 4 days off in a row! Work hasn't been too busy, which after several crazy busy weeks is a bit of a relief. Had nice lunches with Barb on Tuesday and my friend Sarah on Wednesday, both on the roof-top patio of one of the hospitals I work for. Is absolutely beautiful there, looking out for miles over the city, with the hospital core of the city (5 main hospitals and a chronic care centre literally within steps of eachother), and the University of Toronto surrounding the location. Many of the oncology patients come up there, enjoying the opportunity for fresh air and the view. Phillip has written the last of his examinations for the year and now has another week to go before starting to work for July at a music, drama and arts daycamp. I may be as relieved to have the school year over as he is! Phil's having a great time doing nothing for a week or so, hanging out with his friends, sleeping in late and enjoying the down time.

Toronto a happening place right now. The big news is the 25th annual Pride week, celebrating diverse sexual and gender identity, which culminates in a mega Pride parade tomorrow (www.pridetoronto.com). It is fabulous and about one million people are expected to attend Pride this year. There is also the International Caravan Festival, with representation of the multiple global cultures present in our city. As well, there is the Festival of Fire - an absolutely spectacular blend of fireworks and music that is presented down at our lakefront over several evenings. Am hoping to get to at least one event!

Must admit to leaving much music unlistened to this week, although I have been partial to some Louis Armstrong and Billie Holiday. Having been inspired by the photographic excellence of other bloggers, thought I'd try and take some pictures on my way to and from work. Am finding that the camera does not exactly see things as I do (obviously the camera's fault), but am having a terrific time experimenting with it all! At some point over the next few weeks, I will try to decipher how one actually downloads photos into blogger and try to post some of my meagre attempts - am having a time deciding what's "representative".

The heat and sun are back in a maximum effect kind of way.... already 27 degrees at 8:00 a.m. Loving it - these are the days I dream of in the cold, grey of winter. Not only am I down to three more weeks of interferon and four weeks of ribavirin, but after five weeks, we will go to the cottage in the country, on the lake where we will swim, canoe and sail, where we will take walks through the forests, lie on the dock at night and look at more stars than we can count, with all of our family from Toronto, Montreal and Maryland together. Wonderful times to look forward to!

Sue

9 Comments:

Blogger MartinB said...

Hi Sue,
Its no good, you are going to have to admit that you are really working for the Toronto Tourist Board on a mission to make us all jealous!
You have certainly succeeded!
Best wishes for the remainder of treatment, and fingers crossed for a good result!
Martin

12:47 PM  
Blogger Kerry Grace said...

Life just sounds wonderful! Ah, summertime! I am so very happy for you - 3 to go and everyone positive - it will fly by; enjoy the days off, the summer fun, and you will be off the riba and on the lake in no time. I went to such a lake as a teenager and I still remember the stars and the northern lights! Neil Young had it about right and that's how I'll picture your cottage - blue, blue window behind the stars!

Kerry Grace

1:13 AM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Martin,

Gee, I've obviously missed some major entrepreneurial opportunities, between Toronto Tourism and Starbucks! I'm sure there are tons of people living here who don't keep up much with what's happening in the city, but I just love it all - it's so alive.

You're sounding very well now into treatment proper. Thank you for your kind wishes, my fingers also crossed for you.

Sue

8:37 AM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Kerry,

Amazing - Neil Young "Helpless" THE song that reminds me of the cottage, since way back when I was in my teens. The Northern Ontario land has been in my Dad's family since the 1800's, so several generations of us have grown up summering there.

August especially good for Northern lights... am hopeful.

You both are in my thoughts this weekend. Hang in there.

Sue

8:51 AM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Jeff,

Family fun sounding great! It's amazing to watch our children's generation reach adulthood - to see how they develop and grow, what paths they choose. Glad you had a little downtime from work, after having such a megawork phase just previously.

Also glad to hear things got straightened out with the meds, with the viral load results ultimately getting to the insurance company. Don't even want to think about being this far into treatment and having it messed up by bureaucratic "issues".

Congratulations on #21. Hope the post shot sides pass by quickly.

Sue

9:02 AM  
Blogger Punjtun said...

Hi Sue,

i am pleased that you are enjoying your count dwon.soon you will be free from drug.

with best wishes,

Ijaz

3:43 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Ijaz and Jane,

Thank you both so much for your kind words! It will be so nice to be finished. Continued best wishes to you also, as you progress further through treatment.

Sue

7:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Sue,
This is Debbiejo from AZ. Just wanted to say thank you for your words of encouragement. I have 45 more injections left. It seems such a long way off. I am so very happy for you, with only having two more injections to go. I wish you the very best and do so hope that the hepatitis stays in remission for you. Good Luck and enjoy the rest of your life in peace and happiness. Talk to you later.
Debbiejo

2:12 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Debbiejo,

Thank you for dropping by my blog. 45 remaining injections seems like a lot, but please remember you are not alone. You may find the hepc bloggers to be a terrific support network - I certainly have. You are three shots down already! I hope that the performing the injections is getting better for you with time.

I have added your blog to the link section on my page, which I hope is okay with you. Your new webpage is looking really good! All best wishes for your treatment journey,

Sue

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home