Saturday, May 28, 2005

May 28 - Feeling Groovy

Saturday morning, following injection #17. Seven remaining. Last night was the usual post-injection reaction and I’m left tired and with a headache this morning. However, my Starbucks bold coffee, white chocolate blueberry scone and a little acetaminophen seem to be doing the trick. Have had an excellent week, with the sinus infection finally responding to the antibiotics, face steaming and snorting salt water (one of the least pleasant activities I’ve taken part in during recent years, but really seemed to help clear the sinuses). Getting sick on treatment truly sucks. Although, getting sick any time really isn’t great fun. Am better and have only today and tomorrow left on the antibiotics and antifungal mouth wash (which also seems to be working), then will be reducing the checkpoints on the medication chart back to treatment and support only levels.

Went and saw “Star Wars”, with Phil, James and Annikka last weekend. I’m a total sci fi fan, so these are the movies I really do love. Although it wasn’t playing in the Imax theatre, it was in about 8 other theatres at the Paramount, running about every ½ hour, so we had no trouble getting in and getting good seats. Last night, I watched “Team America World Police”, with Ron and Phil – hysterical. Is worth renting for the theme song alone. Have rented “The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou” for my quiet day today, probably spent mostly on the couch in the living room.

Am back at the main hospital site for several weeks now. The past week has been very good and I’ve spent much of my time with two of the physicians I enjoy working with best. I’ve been able to become involved in some new types of work, always exciting and stimulating. The Toronto weather, although cool and wet at the start of the week, is now sunny and warm. Will definitely be out and about tomorrow. Perhaps even today I’ll be able to get out for a little walk. The trip into work and home each day, about a ½ hour walk each way, has been fresh, sunny and filled with the smells of lilac bushes blooming. The discman is back in play; I’ve been listening to Hall and Oates, John Prine, Audioslave, Tori Amos and Fleetwood Mac mostly, this week. Have really gotten back into my yoga, which suffered a little while I was sick, as certain postures were painful with infected sinuses. Each day, I’ve been practicing at least one hour and the results are palpable. Wednesday evening, I got together briefly with Barb – she and her partner are dealing with illness within their family and my heart goes out to both of them during this difficult time. Thursday, Allison provided a brilliant shiatsu treatment that I departed from with relaxation and renewed spirit. Both of my sisters, Nancy and Sally, have been calling me daily to see what’s up. They are inspirational and provide me with enormous support.

Was in for my 7:30 a.m. pre-work blood tests with nurse Sharon yesterday morning. There are definitely conveniences to having several main city hospitals located within steps of eachother – I can go for bloods at one and be at work at another within minutes. She called with results last night, everything about status quo (white cell count actually up a little, probably due to the recent infection, nice to know my body still has it in it to respond). I forgot to ask about my alt levels. However, as they’ve been within normal range for some time now and as she said things are basically unchanged, I am not too concerned. Side effects are sort of a low grade buzz in the background of life…. hair is still thinning, but I can cope and happily continue using the Nioxin shampoo, conditioner and leave in treatment. Rash comes up and down, but I can use Aveeno and calendula. Wake ups still occur around 3:30 a.m., but lavender aromatherapy is amazing for getting back to sleep.

One thing that really stood out for me while I was perusing the blogs during the week, was a comment on a blog from Martin saying how important it is not to allow treatment to become the focal point of life. I can’t begin to express strongly enough how much I agree with his comment! Neither hepatitis c, nor its treatment, define us. I am not just someone with hepatitis c on chemotherapy. Who I am is a culmination of many innate factors, life experiences, actions, interactions, reactions, hopes, dreams and multiple other things. This disease and the treatment for it are only a small part of me, things that I will be able to learn and grow from, to incorporate into my global persona, but only little parts. The whole is so much more.

Sue

9 Comments:

Blogger peter said...

Sue--

White chocolate blueberry and acetaminophen -- is that a new Starbucks flavor?

You sound positive, and I'm glad you're responding to antibiotics and antifungal. The reminder that there is life beyond Hep C and chemo is welcome today as I experience a bit of "well, what now?" post-tx. I'm struck by how different we of the Hep C blogs are, yet how we have something essential in common.

Peter

10:30 AM  
Blogger Kerry Grace said...

Had to drop in and see what was had at Starbucks! Happy it was a nice week and I do admire that you get up and out post-injection mornings. Cleveland and Toronto seem to share the same weather and so I imagine you enjoying a sunny spring morning. I picked up another bottle of swish and swallow on my way home yesterday, so we down here sympathize with the teeth sweaters! Glad to hear they're coming off! The previews to Star Wars suggest a summer filled with Sci-Fi blockbusters, so something to look forward to! (we just discovered the DLP - digital light processing - theater, if Toronto has one, it's worth any extra effort to see sci fi on a DLP screen)

Have a wonderful week.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Peter,

I think that the "what now" feeling is normal, perhaps a pendulum-like reaction to the extreme of our being on treatment? While our lives are much more than just this experience, there is no denying that we've had a pretty concentrated hep c moment. I expect to feel a little lost after treatment, not exactly missing it (!), but less consumed. Can hardly wait!

***********************************

Hi Kerry,

Can't do too much bragging about the post-injection Starbucks trips... it is located literally next door to my home. Am starting to think they should perhaps be acknowledging my advertising acumen though, maybe financially.... am sure there is a marketing ploy to be had here.

"Swish and swallow" terrific - exactly how my physician described using it! Maybe it's a direct quote from the prescribing information by the manufacturer.

Summer sci fis looking awesome - will check into dlp.

***********************************

Hi Jeff,

Glad you've got some sunshine for the weekend! Have been thinking about you on the high dose ribavirin - hope that things are going well.

Sue

7:47 AM  
Blogger MartinB said...

Hi Sue,
Toronto is very definitely more civilised than here! Blood tests at 7.30? Not a chance over here. My lot open at 8.30 and shut at 5.
Martin

12:13 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Ron,

Thank you so much for your comments. Your post comes at an extremely opportune moment - woke at 3:30 a.m. this morning and was unable to go back to sleep, despite the lavender... will be trying rotation with the vetiver and/or valerian soon. First time that's happened to me. Suspect that rotating is a great concept, discouraging habituation to one oil.

I do think that prolonged time on treatment does allow it to be incorporated more easily into the flow of life. However, post 12 weeks, I am much more respectful of it. I mentioned to Martin in the forum that I've thought a lot about why 12 weeks was a bit of a tough point for me, even though I was watching that time so carefully for difficulty.

Am not sure about blogging post treatment, but I think I might. Will be heading up to Muskoka by August, a couple of weeks after finishing. A bit of a break will be good. I am interested in and concerned for the bloggers, want to know how things turn out for all of us.

Sounds as though you've had a lovely holiday. It's great to have you back!

Sue

5:49 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Martin,

I am so fortunate and so very impressed with the liver clinic where I am seen for hep c and treatment. I think my physician is accessible and fantastic. I suspect that nurse Sharon lives at work, seeing her family only briefly at odd hours. When I go in for 7:30 a.m. appointments, she's already been there for awhile. We discuss how treatment is going and she takes the blood, which she is excellent at - a truly wonderful thing. Then, she calls me at 6 p.m. the same night with my results, obviously still at work. Plus, she is available if I need her in between appointments.

Is all very, very good.

You sound well at start of treatment. Continued best wishes for the journey,

Sue

5:58 PM  
Blogger lu said...

Hi Sue

I am so impressed with your ability to have an excellent week on treatment, AND having been poorly! I think surely this must be a first for us bloggers! You are amazingly positive and an inspiration to me (and I'm sure others).

Yes I want to see Star Wars and have been desperate to see Team America since it came out! I have already been helpless with laughter just seeing the trailer! I really love the South Park people - they write on many levels and provide really interesting social comment.

Lilac blooms smell wonderful don't they, especially on a warm evening. I can only tolerate natural smells at the moment and boy do I enjoy the gentle aroma of flowers. Your walk to work sounds interesting - especially as you also live right next door to Starbucks! And one hour of exercise a day can only be good! Plus your yoga AND going to work in what sounds like a demanding job. And everything else you manage to fit in. Wow, you are amazing.

Lu

3:01 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Lu,

Star wars definitely worthwhile. Note of caution about team america - some parts are pretty rude (the puppet sex scene is a little over the edge) - I wouldn't suggest it as something to watch "with the kids". Darn funny movie, though.

The walks to and from work are hightlights in my day. I pass through so many different parts of the city, each area with individual beauty, in combination spectacular!

Sue

8:00 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Jeremy,

Get where you're coming from - being organized and having things well thought out is smart. For you, this means allowing yourself time away from work to concentrate on healing. For me, it means throwing myself into work in order to try and maintain as much "routine" as I can, in the hope that it will provide me with some normal through what might be an abnormal venture. We must all have somewhat different strategies to deal with treatment - it's very interesting!

Blade Runner one of my very very faves. Also, Logan's Run, Zardoz, the Fifth Element.

Would definitely recommend coffee and pastries morning post injection (just in case it hasn't been clear in my blogs...). High therapeutic benefit.

Will be thinking of you this Thursday starting treatment. All best wishes, Sue

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home