Monday, April 04, 2005

April 4 - Market strolling

Quick post today! Up early to discover day was not filled with downpouring snow and ice, which was terrific news. The entire weekend was below zero, snow-filled, windy and the ground covered with slick ice. Really miserable. Of course now it is Monday, back to work day, and the weather is better. However, made for a nice walk in to work - I'm about 25 minutes from the hospital I'm at. Still cold, but sunny and that's always an improvement.

Work still megabusy. My ribavirin cough has returned with a vengeance. Another woman I work with has cough due to antihypertensive she's taking. Between us, it's unattractive. We know we're not contagious though!

After work, walked through Chinatown to dragon city pet store and picked up some crickets for our lizard. Then up through Kensington market and got lots of veggies: peppers, mushrooms, garlic, onions, snow peas, onions; to have with chicken and basmati rice stir fry for dinner, which I'm just about to start cooking, with a little sesame oil. LOVE the market! It is a wild, eclectic collection of retro second hand stores admixed with open fruit and vegetable stands, organic produce outlets, butcher stores, cheese stores, health food stores, very strange bars that I wouldn't go in for anything, bakeries, plus more I can't remember and is totally multicultural. Is within a couple of blocks of our home and makes shopping a delight!

Must go cook! Sue

4 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

Hi Sue, I closed my eyes and I could smell the veggies! I don't miss the ice rain though....
very best wishes
Tink

12:46 PM  
Blogger peter said...

Oh, yes! A place with worse weather than Vermont! I didn't think such a place existed south of Iqaluit. Thank you!

Seriously, though, I haven't been in Toronto since the mid-80's, and it sounds delicious. My wife and I make it up to Montreal often enough, and we have a favorite restaurant in Chinatown, Kam Fung on Rue Clark.

Your post is making me salivate, and I just ate...

7:54 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Colam said...

Hi Sue,

If it wasn't for the interferon I would say you have an idylic life.

Jonathan

3:45 AM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

So nice that some of you remember the market! We live around College and Bathurst, so are very close and I do most of my shopping there. I love the varied cultures and open stalls, the fresh food and the bartering.

Ron, can't believe you worked at the Clarke (now merged with Addiction Research Fndn and Queen St. Mental Health, to form the "Centre for Addiction and Mental Health"), and lived over on Spadina - all part of my neighbourhood!

Peter, my sister's in Montreal and it is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever been to. I know she wouldn't be anywhere else. She and her family are completely fluent in French, of course. Sort of necessary for truly functional Quebec living.

Sue

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home