Tuesday, April 12, 2005

April 12 - Mid-Treatment Life Crisis

Have been thinking a lot over the last couple of days of how at least two of the hep c bloggers have found the mid-treatment point a place of disillusionment and disarray. Approaching injection #12 in 2 wks = my half way point. This may not, in fact, be a statistically significant event, but I will be watching how I'm feeling very carefully indeed. Those of us coming up behind those of you who've gone before are at somewhat of an advantage. We get to benefit from your experience.

Life in Toronto has been sunny sunny sunny! It's lovely! Mind you, it's still cool, at 10 celcius today, but the sun is great! Walked into work today in pants, a sweater, denim jacket and scarf - no more winter coat for me! And shoes, no boots!! The snow is gone. No flowers yet, but it can't be long. One disadvantage, which I discovered while out on Sunday walking around downtown with our son Phillip, is that, yes, this treatment does make you very sun-sensitive. Am very fair (like to think that Nicole Kidman has my colouring.... strawberry red hair and pale, pale, pale... sadly for Nicole, the resemblance pretty much ends there.... ), and always wear 40 sunblock on my face. However, it was SO nice that I had my coat open and had no sunblock on the skin exposed by my v-neck sweater. Got fried and have now developed mega ribarash all over burnt area. Lovely. Bring on the aveeno lotion (and in this case, some calendula as well).

Work still crazy busy, but incredibly interesting. Tink commented on her blog how a recent account she'd seen of the tsunami disaster had made her feel that what she was going through is just a drop in the ocean. I commented that perspective is everything and believe that to be true. The true life experiences that I'm a witness to at the hospital put my disease and it's treatment into a very different place. Many people suffer things I can barely consider and shine with a light through it all that I doubt I could muster.

Walked home through the market, made quick stop at home and then went and had wonderful shiatsu treatment from Allison. Back home where Ron made dinner and I'm about to do my yoga and then get ready for a good sleep. Good night!

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Hi Sue,
You were wondering about stones. Here is the calculation for your weight.
51k is multiplied by 2.2 to get lbs. So this would be 112.20 lbs.
There are 14lbs in a stone so divide 112.20 by 14 and you are 8st 1lb. And you are cuter than Nicole Kidman!? Book me on the next flight to Toronto.

Paul.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Colam said...

Hi Sue,

Being one of the mid point crisis people, it might allay your fears if I set the context of my Easter-gate.

I built up a big mental block about the whole 14 week early stop thing, which coupled with my self richeous indignation about having to do the treatment got in the way in a big way. In week 12 - 14 I was continually struggling with the notion of stopping, this had nothing to do with being mid point but was related to a series of studies I had read about early stops.

I can see now that this was in fact making me ill. The only thing I would add is that I have never been through anything as emotionally difficult as I did over Easter, I have however come through it and have felt really rather good for the last couple of weeks.

Good luck
Jonathan

3:22 AM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Paul - thanks for the stone calculations, which is totally fun! Will be waiting for your plane!

Dear Jonathan - I have not in any way meant to say that I have the least idea what you, or any one else, is going through with this treatment and hope I haven't offended you! I know you've researched the early stop option extensively for our genotype and that this was a very difficult issue for you to come to a decision on when the shorter endpoint arrived. However, it does coincide with the mid-point and that, coupled with how Ron's recently been feeling at his mid treatment point, as well as comments from Lu on his site talking about feelings at the midpoint of treatment, just made me think that perhaps it would good for me to be totally aware of how I'm feeling about things as my mid-treatment point approaches.

I am so glad you're feeling better over the last few weeks. You're sounding incredibly up in your blogs! Best wishes,

Sue

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home