Saturday, July 09, 2005

July 9 - ONE

Injection #23 complete and only ONE to go! Have grande bold starbucks coffee on hand, with lemon cream cheese muffin (containing decadent amounts of whipped cream cheese). All good.

Had planned to put out a list of products I have found useful during treatment (starbucks potentially topping the list), but just am not up for it. Has been an extremely rough week in the grand scheme of treatment. Despite cruising pretty much through it all up until now, have all of a sudden become short of breath and dizzy. Dizzy to the point of having to sit on the bed for 10 minutes in the morning before being able to stand up. Dizzy to the point of falling over while doing yoga (actually, pretty funny). Dizzy to the point of almost fainting at home in the kitchen Thursday morning, and having to be helped out of rounds Thursday morning at work, and having to go home. Nothing like a little drama. Dizzy, with nausea. Many thanks to nurse Sharon and my hepatologist for seeing me so quickly. Blood work is unchanged, all parameters consistent with previous tests. Sharon and the doctor said it may be inner ear-related. Physician also noted that I've had an unusually good go with treatment up until now and that over half his patients on combo are unable to work at all by six months into treatment. His comment was that maybe the treatment is just starting to kick me down.

Well, that the bloods are unchanged means I'm in no acute physiologic danger. I have gotten through this up to now and there is simply no way that the last 2 weeks are going to beat me down! I will sit on the bed for 10 minutes in the morning, if that's what it takes. I will avoid sudden movements and walk very, very carefully. I will rest. I will take the shuttle bus that runs between two of the hospitals I work at, instead of walking. If it becomes necessary, I will miss a day of work. Maybe.

Two weeks of ribavirin and one more shot to go. A walk in the park!

Sue

15 Comments:

Blogger Kerry Grace said...

All right, lady, here it is: SLOW DOWN! Take breaks and rests and stops and the elevator and the bus and accept an offer to help and sit on the sofa in the evenings and sleep when you are tired and . . . well, you know the advice, I am sure you have given it many times! I am sorry you had a bad week. I hope for better next and a bold coffee and a fabulously decadent muffin certainly sound the best way to start.

and thanks for the ever kind and understanding comments. I understand the recruiter - guilt works - and as my sister said, if not donating platelets is a fault, so be it, I am allowed a few faults.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Kerry,

Thank you and, of course, you are right. Made me laugh, as it sounds like my husband/sisters/doctor/coworkers/children... easier advice for me to distribute than accept...

I actually have some serious issues with recruitment under circumstances such as your current ones. Hope your weekend is okay,

Sue

10:46 AM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Ron,

Must say that I'm not impressed that new symptoms have appeared at this time, but will deal. Plan to use the benches as serious resting places during the walk through the park.

Accumulative end of treatment, business of life, with new sides, all coming together and having some impact. As you've said, those last 100 metres may seem the longest, but they are also when we're able to put out that final burst of energy and cross the finish line.

Your yoga story made me laugh. Am relegating myself to less tricky postures until the vertigo disappears!

Thank you for your continued support, Ron. All best wishes for a good week for you, as well.

Sue

1:49 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hey Jeff,

Completely excellent point! Looking forward and moving on.
Hope you're doing well on the upper riba end of life (1400 per day, yes?). Know that you are looking forward too. Thank you Jeff, for the positivity,

Sue

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, Sue! you have to go slow and gentle. don't want you passing out again!!!

i am so glad for you that you only have one shot left to go.

you have such inner strength.

--annikka

9:17 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Dear Annikka,

Don't worry - promise no more fainting. Jeff makes good point: that a rough patch makes the upcoming drug-free future look pretty sweet!

Hope the move is going okay so far for you guys. Can hardly wait to see the new place!

Love Sue

9:23 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Colam said...

Hi Sue,

It is a bit of a bummer to get this level of breathlessness at the end of treamtent. I hope you won't let it detract from thejoys of only having ONE injection left.

Do you have the option of taking some holiday, maybe spend your last two weeks of treatment being pampered in a health spa or lying on a beach somewhere being fed peeled grapes.

Good luck
Jonathan

4:29 AM  
Blogger MartinB said...

Hi Sue,
After extensive research I have come to the conclusion that you are suffering from muffin devaluation. Fortunately, this rare condition can be cured by either a double dose, or at least a larger one!
Treat yourself! You have earned it!
Best wishes,
Martin

11:52 AM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Dear Jonathan,

There is probably zero than can detract from the joy of having only one shot left (except, perhaps, having no shots left!).

Am saving that vacation time for August, when I will spend 2 weeks lying on the dock, rolling in to the water every once in awhile to cool off. Requires neither breathing, nor balance!

Do like the pampering idea though.... am suggesting to husband and children that they provide me with massage and bon bons whilst I recline on couch.

Sue

3:14 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Hi Martin,

I believe your research is correct! This isn't one final evil interferon moment, it's muffin deprivation. Am heading off to starbucks (wait, no, am sending someone else off to starbucks), immediately, to ensure that this muffin imbalance is corrected immediately. Please let me know if further results yield proof that I need additional sweets!

Hope things are continuing well for you,

Sue

3:21 PM  
Blogger lu said...

Hi Sue

GREAT to have one injection only left! Fantastic. Sorry you're not feeling so good, but I agree with Jeff - it will only make not taking this stuff so much better!
Take care, enjoy this 'one to go' feeling, I am thinking of you.
Lu
PS I had an apple starbucks muffin the other day after my Hb blood tests. It was fantastic! I am going back tomorrow for a lemon one!

3:29 AM  
Blogger misspoppy said...

Bravo Sue,
Your attitude is positively shining.
I'm sorry to hear you are having these rotten symptoms now, but the fact you are so near the end of tx seems to have given you that extra edge and determination not to be beaten. Go girl, or rather go slowly girl, because that virus/tx has had its last vicious swipe.
Please do be especially kind to yourself just now, you have earned it.
Good wishes
Miss Poppy

8:42 PM  
Blogger Punjtun said...

Hi Sue,

You have done the treatment very bravely and you have almost done it::::

i hope you get better soon.

all the best.

Ijaz

11:36 AM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Dear Lu, Miss Poppy and Ijaz,

Thank you all so much for your kind words. I might be moving a little slower than usual, but life continues on. Last shot coming up! Hope you are having a great week,

Sue

6:36 PM  
Blogger Sue, Toronto said...

Thank you Jeremy,

I have taken it down a couple of notches during the last week... it's pretty much over now and I'm looking forward to starting to pick it back up again.

Hope that you are continuing to do well,

Sue

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home